Measure current density and temperature distribution within the cell over the active cell area.
- Analysis of bipolar plates (flow field design), membrane electrode assemblies (MEA) and grouting concepts
- Evaluation of operating strategies and aging effects.
- Life cycle test on fuel cells, electrolyzers and redox flow batteries
- Can be combined with electronic impedance spectroscopy (1D model to 2D model)
DiLiCo current density consists of a segmented sensor layer consisting of current and temperature sensors, electronics for evaluating and transmitting the measured data to the customer's computer, and optional software for visualization and extensive evaluation of the measured values for current density (current strength related to area) and temperature. The segmented sensor layer is integrated between two cells, without direct contact to the gases and liquids. Each segment measures the current and temperature for a portion of the active area of the membrane electrode assembly. The area of all segments is equal to the area of the active reaction surface of the membrane. As a result, DiLiCo current density reveals a two-dimensional image of the distribution of current density and temperature over the area of the membrane-electrode unit.
The activity of the membrane, the design of bipolar plates, seals and other components can thus be evaluated both in operation but also out of operation. During operation, conditions such as gas undersupply, thermal hot spots, and flooding can be identified, directly measure and visualize the correlations between humidification systems and cell performance, and measure the effects of one-dimensional imprinting of AC components by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy on two-dimensional measurement by DiLiCo current density closer to the active area of the cell.
DiLiCo current density thus provides valuable insight into the inside of fuel cells, redox flow batteries and electrolyzers. Use the information to optimize operation and characterize your system. Depending on the membrane area, sensor layer, number of segments and distribution of segments can be individually adjusted according to your requirements to obtain optimal observation of current density and temperature distribution.
- Sensor layer
- Evaluation electric
- External power supply
- (optional) Visualization software
- Manufacturer of fuel cells and electrolyzers
- Manufacturer of stack components and bipolar plates
- Test systems, systems in the field test and stationary energy supply
- Research institutions